Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, new and old, photo courtesy State Archives of Florida
When the war was over, Burnham was able to retain his position as lighthouse keeper at the lighthouse, but the government decided to build a newer, taller tower to replace it. Therefore, it was 1868 before the new Cape Canaveral’s lighthouse was lit, and Burnham stayed in his position until his death in 1896.
The lighthouse was still active when, in the 1950’s, it acquired a noisy new neighbor. The Cape Canaveral Joint Range Proving Ground began launching rockets, disturbing residents of towns that had sprung up nearby. Soon the towns became government property and the citizens left, but the lighthouse keepers, being government employees, were allowed to remain. However, in 1967, the lighthouse was automated and the keepers were removed.
In 2000, the 151-foot tall Cape Canaveral Lighthouse became the only lighthouse to be owned and operated by the U.S. Air Force. In the years since, visitors have been allowed to tour the lighthouse at various times, but visits ended in 2013, due to government budget cuts. Now, thanks to a joint effort between the Air Force, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation, and NASA, tours to the lighthouse have commenced again, and the lighthouses can welcome visitors once more.
“Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:2
Is there someone you can show hospitality to this year?