Sand Hills Lighthouse, looking toward old dock from lantern room balcony, photo by Chuck Turk
For the next five years, the lighthouse remained empty, but in 1942, 200 Coast Guardsmen occupied the grounds and buildings as a training site during World War II. A year later, the grounds were abandoned again, and in 1954, the use of radar determined that the light was no longer necessary and so it was decommissioned.
The site remained vacant until 1958 when the government sold the property to a private owner at auction. However, just a few years later, the owner put the property up for sale again and it was bought by William Frabotta in 1961.
For the next thirty years, the Frabotta family used the property as a summer vacation spot, using the fog house as their summer cottage because the main building had fallen into disrepair. Years of disuse and destruction by vandals had taken its toll on the once-splendid lighthouse, and extensive repair was needed.
However, in 1992, Frabotta undertook a major renovation plan. After a massive three-year remodeling, the building was reopened as an impressive bed and breakfast inn in 1995.
Now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, the lighthouse is one of only twenty lighthouses in the United States that operates as a bed and breakfast. Today, another William and Mary (Frabotta), welcome guests into their Victorian-decorated lighthouse, eager to exhibit the result of their dedication and hard work.